29 September 2007

a decade-long dream comes true . . .

as anyone who knows me or has read my blog knows, this year has been one of transformation and reclamation for me. i've reconnected with old friends, made new ones, re-evaluated my priorities and made some fairly major changes in my life (new house, new car, new wardrobe, new attitude) and today another dream came true.

for as long as i can remember i have wanted a bike. not just any bike though. a very specific bike
with a very specific paint job. i found said bike a few days ago on craigslist (in my price range even!). today, my big bro, z, went out with me to test drive it and drive it back should i decide to buy it. it's been 13 years since i've driven a bike (ridden on plenty in that time) so i no longer have my motorcycle license. plus he's the most knowledgeable bike guy i know. i trust his opinion and never would buy a bike without his endorsement. he gave me the thumbs up so i am now the proud owner of this beautiful piece of machinery.

it's a 1997 honda shadow 600 vlx deluxe. has 11,500 original miles on it. brand new leather saddle bags and the paint job is impeccable. this thing looks like it just drove off the showroom floor yesterday not 10 yrs ago! i talked the guy down $100 and he threw in a really nice helmet. z drove it back here and gave it the thumbs up which is impressive because he's not really a *cruiser* bike kinda guy. he rides a beautiful ktm 900 adventure bike.

i'm looking forward to the private lessons he's gonna give me to help me get my permit. then i'll go take a motorcycle class so i can feel really comfy on it. the bike is the perfect size for me and i can sit on it with both feet flat on the ground and my knees bent. the handlebars and pegs are in the right spot as well. it feels like the most natural thing in the world.

i'm so excited i can barely contain myself . . .

so today i'm thankful for . . . the universe dropping my dream bike in my lap and a good friend to share the experience with.

2 comments:

ryanvdz said...

Damn, that thing is PRETTY! Congrats! Once you get your license, I'd love a ride (and I say this not being a big bike lover!).

So, are you going to be getting a badass leather jacket with some faded painting on the back of like, a skull or something? :)

Unknown said...

Your big sister is jealous as hell!! Ride the road for me babe. Love, Rob